Friday, June 7, 2013

Count your blessings..with a calculator!



I have heard that phrase many times...Count Your Blessings. But what does it means? For all I know, I would be counting my blessing with the amount of ringgits I have in my bank account every end of the month, right after I paid all the bills and give money to my mom.

I suppose it should be more than that right? After all, most things that we cannot live without in our lives are free. The air that we breathe, the water (we pay the monthly bill but if we use less than RM20 it's free, remember?), even down to the land that we step on.

I read this blog, and I notice that this person lists down things that she is thankful for once a week. It would be a good mental exercise, trying to recount what happened for the past week that enable you to be where you are in the current week.

So I think I would do the same. Lately I have been feeling down because of that you-know-who and also because I am in no better financial shape compared to last year. I made a new year resolution (to myself, that is) that I would get significantly better pay this year, but it's not happening soon. Very little things can make me feeling so down, and most of the time it is money.



Today out of the blue Cik Asiah gave me "nasi bungkus" It was a meal from that awesome Indian restaurant down the road near 9th College. She bought me a wholesome meal - rice, fried tenggiri, potatos, vegetables and curry gravy. What a delicious meal. The only downturn is that I had it when it was already cold as I was fasting.

Oh, when I said today I meant June 6th. Didn't realize it is already another day.

I was actually craving for some ikan tenggiri and curry gravy with rice, and look what I got today. Perhaps I give HIM too little credit for not listening to what I want in life. Maybe I didn't realize what I got because I never wrote about them. Maybe, by writing what I receive or be thankful for everyday would remind me how much luckier I am compared to the people in Niger whose lives are so much worse than mine, and there's nothing they can do about it.

I can do something with my life. In fact, I am trying very hard to change my life. I want to learn, to get the highest degree, to earn Professorship before I retire. For now, the future looks bleak but it's not going to be like that forever. If I work hard enough I know I can make it. Heck, I felt like I graduated already when I handed the first part of my Chapter 4 on Wednesday!

When I went to get my rice from Dr Jawakhir (Cik Asiah left the rice with Dr J), I sat down and chatted with her a bit, since she will be retiring end of this month. She asked me why am I doing something very difficult for my thesis. I had to be honest: metaphor isn't my first choice. But I think I forgot to tell her how freaking in love am I with Wmatrix. I sound a bit demotivated because I am running out of time, but how I wish I know more about it!

How, I wish, that with just one look at the data, I can make better analysis and conclusion. I don't know what to say when I found out that the simplified text has more pronouns and less adjectives compared to original text. Please excuse my thesis-related ramblings but I feel so down when I can't figure out things easily. That is another point. I tend to forget when I had an epiphany about my thesis and only remember the times when I can't perform well.



So, I will write here as much blessings as I had these past few days and make every Friday a "Count your blessings" day.

  • I fell down in front of the ATM machine but I didn't bleed. Just a few bruises on my knees. I still can walk, still can pray despite having to pray on the chair. 
  • I am thankful for nasi bungkus from Cik Asiah (she's literally Dr Asiah now but she refused the title and insist people call her as Cik Asiah as usual).
  • When I fell, I had no medicine with me. I went to see Ifa and her roommate gave me gamat (sea cucumber) oil. Then I told Cik Asiah what happened and she also gave another bottle of minyak ubat.
  • I am thankful for Ifa's help by letting me stay in her room while waiting for the laundry to be done, for giving me some detergent, and for telling me how to get around in college (where's the bathroom, the washing machine, where to hang the clothes)
  • I am thankful for Ifa's roommate who doesn't seem to mind I am there many times.
  • I am thankful for after the nasi bungkus, I got some papaya from Cik Asiah. 
  • I am thankful for the place where I am writing nowadays is air-conditioned and no one bothers me and that I have access to it 24 hours a day.
  • I am thankful for the wifi is free, and there is a fridge and I can keep my food in there.
  • I am thankful for the taxi driver last Wednesday was not a fussy one and sent me to the campus without much questions, even after seeing me carrying so many mineral water.
  • I am thankful that my credit card still works even if I am wayyy past the limit. Have to stop spending with it though. At least til I pay the next bill.
  • I am thankful for the RM10 Jusco voucher I cashed in. Still thinking what to buy with it.
  • I am thankful that my 3rd Rejab fasting day was not as tiring and that I could still walk around Midvalley without collapsing after a day of fasting.
  • I am thankful for that CD with Quran MP3 I received as wedding goodies.
  • I am thankful for the delicious food at UM Food Court which sells food at normal price but with large servings.
  • I am thankful for not having fever for a long long time once I dumped that particular brand of facial care. No more sore tonsil. This also means I can do more when I am healthy.
  • I am thankful for having another Popeye's voucher in my purse, along with a voucher for two free movie tickets from GSC which I have no idea when I can use (can't wait!).
  • I am thankful for the umbrella in the office which I borrowed this afternoon, and without it I might end up wet on my way back.
  • I am thankful for the PC with 24 hours internet even when the wifi went kaput yesterday.
I'd better stop now. Have to prepare sahur. Probably bread with butter. Can't wait for next Friday.

What are you thankful for? Have you thanked the person for giving it to you?

No comments: